The Food Shelf is a 501 (c) 3 Charity originally established in July 1982. The Reverend Jeff Bullock of Emmanuel Episcopal Church recognized the need for a food shelf in Alexandria. With the help of Wally Bloom and his wife Virginia the message was brought to the churches and community.
Over time the organization outgrew the church. A building was built at the current location of 1205 Lake Street. Only four years later the building needed a new addition doubling its size. Then in 2001 another addition was added resulting in the current 96 by 24 foot building. In 2007, the Food Shelf constructed a 24 by 36 foot garage for on-site extra storage. Labor was provided by the Alexandria Technical Community College students each time.
In 2016 and 2017 the Food Shelf raised funds and secured donations from the community to attach the existing garage to the main building, adding over 1,100 square feet of storage. This expansion provides safer moving of stored food for distribution. With the additional storage space, donations can be accepted, stored, purchased and distributed in larger quantities.